Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Sadly, None of My Children

First off, I hope everyone had a great weekend. I had a wonderful cheesy, buttery one (though the return of my husband ushers in the demise of that; however, it restores sanity, as single parenting --even for just the weekend -- is hard work).

This week is a little sad for me -- and millions of others, too, I'm sure. It's the final week of All My Children, the ABC soap that was cancelled earlier this year. The soap opera has been on the air since 1970, and it's a show I watched with my mother as a child, and later by myself as a teen and young adult. Sadly, none of my children have seen the show, as I've hardly seen AMC since I've become a parent.

That's probably one reason the show has lost enough viewership to get cancelled. My kids and I tend to watch kids shows, even during the summer. But,  my mom, a teacher, used to settle in on summer afternoons and watch AMC, and I'd hang with her, watching because it was a grownup show. Even to this day, my mother and I can always chat about the comings and goings in Pine Valley.  And while I haven't watched daily in years, I've always kept tabs through magazines in the checkout line or the Internet, so I've always been able to chat because I know at least a couple of characters. Erica Kane, of course, was a mainstay. But, I haven't had the time or inclination to watch daily, and now my occasional Pine Valley buddies are going away forever.

Even though I rarely stop in to watch, I'm going to miss the show. It's like an old friend. It's been nice to know that at 1 pm on any weekday, I could turn on the TV and see Erica Kane or Tad the cad or Angie & Jesse or any number of my old favorites.


This week I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted with my old favorites. I'm going to watch every day and say a proper goodbye.

What about you folks out there? Anyone else gonna miss Pine Valley? What are your favorite things from Pine Valley? I've included mine below.

-Hyattsville Mom

For the AMC fans who care, here are my favorites:

Favorite Erica Kane husband: Travis Montgomery. Therefore, I have never ever, even to this day, liked Jackson Montgomery (stealing your brother's wife-- icky!).
Favorite couples: Greg & Jenny  (when she died in the jetski explosion, tears everywhere)
                           Tad & Hillary (I feel like this was shortlived, but I really liked them, for some reason)
                           Tad & Dixie
                            Nina & Cliff (most gorgeous wedding, ever!)
                           Angie & Jesse
                          Edmund & Maria
Favorite Friend:  Opal Cortland (I forget her original name)
Favorite Character: Erica Kane (no brainer, right?)
Favorite Gone Characters:  Edmund Grey
                                          Dimitri Marrick
                                          Langley Wallingford
                                          Palmer Cortland/Pete Cooney
                                          Stuart Chandler
Most Wicked Bad Guy:  Billy Rae Tuggle
Loved to Hate: Liza & Marian Colby (though I know they turned their lives around)


No comments:

Post a Comment