Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Book Tuesday: Poppleton & Friends

It's book Tuesday!

This is where I talk about books. No rules, except that I like it.  It can be adult or kid or new or old.

Today, it's one of my favorite books: Poppleton and Friends by Cynthia Rylant.  First of all, let me say, I don't think you can go wrong with a book written by Rylant. Her children's books are wonderful. I particularly love the Poppleton series.

It's a picture book, divided into three chapters. It's good for kids who have learned to read but aren't reading long chapter books. It's also great for parents to read to really young children.  Poppleton is an entire series, with Poppleton & Friends being the second book in the series.

I picked this book because it's the first Rylant book I ever read to one of my children. I just remember laughing hysterically while reading it and enjoying it so much, and having my son enjoy it so much.  Rylant's specialty is a perfect mix of heart warming and funny.

Like all Poppleton books, the chapters don't follow. They can be read as thee separate stories if you want. This is particularly good at bedtime, because you can just read one section and you're done, especially if it's already late and you don't have a lot of time left for story. The three chapters are: the Shore Day, Dry Skin and the Grapefruit.

Dry Skin is my favorite for funniness because it plays on so many things that adults get, but kids don't.  This story centers on Poppleton having dry skin. He calls his neighbor Cherry Sue for advice, and she says to put on some honey.  The next day, he calls her back and says the honey didn't help; it just made him want biscuits. Now,  of course, kids don't get that honey and biscuits are a Southern tradition, but I bust a gut at that. And the way the story ends, is just very funny, as it plays on a cartoon drawing custom that most people ignore. However, it's highlighted in such a funny way, it's delightful.

This is definitely a great book for kids, and the parents who read to them.  The only downside is she does not explain character relationships in this book. The first book explains Cherry Sue is Poppleton's neighbor and Hudson is his good friend. But, those can be overlooked, because it's so wonderful.

-Hyattsville Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment