Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Second Day of School

Well, the first day of school is over.  I took my babies back yesterday, and it was a bittersweet moment, of course.

I was glad to see them moving up and onto a new grade, but really sad to let them go. It's been a fun summer, and hanging with them on a daily basis has been nice. I wasn't quite ready to see it end yet.

The good news is they both said they had a good first day. My youngest told me a lot of the things she enjoyed, but the transition from half-day to full day was clearly hard on her. She cried about everything that afternoon, which leads me to believe the day is a little too long for her at this moment in time. Hopefully, she'll adjust better today.

My son seemed fine, and for some reason they had cookies yesterday afternoon. He was quite thrilled when I picked him up, stuffing the remainder of a cookie in his mouth (My daughter, of course, cried because she didn't get a cookie in her class).

The backpack we made this summer, pre-Sharpie.
The only downside of the day is the teacher wrote on my daughter's backpack. Not too happy with that. Why not graffiti my car, too?  I understand that they want some things labeled, but if that's the case, simply ask me to label it, don't take a Sharpie to it and scrawl on something handmade (that was not going to be confused with anybody else's stuff).  It's not the end of the world, of course.  Just unexpected.

Hopefully, today will be a good day for the kids, as they actually get into the swing of things.

I may drown my empty-nest sorrows at the movie theater, since the Academy 8 Theater in Greenbelt has $5 Tuesdays. I'd hoped to see the Captain America, but it's gone. So, I might try to catch the new Planet of the Apes origin flick.

So, how was your first day of school? Anything you wish you'd done differently?

Have a great second day, folks.

-Hyattsville Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment