When it's so hot out like it's been recently, I don't cook. It just heats up the house too much to be turning on the oven to make food. So, I do a lot of yogurt and sandwiches and salads and, pretty much, cold fare.
I thought I'd share two fun recipes that don't require turning on a stove and make delicious meals. One I learned about recently. The other I've made year end and out, and it's quite delicious. Hope you enjoy!
Spicy Salmon Salad
(I picked up this recipe at Trader Joe's the other day, and it's simple and delicious!)
- 12 oz Salmon, cooked, broken apart
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of Wasabi mayonnaise (sold at Trader Joes)
- 1/4 of a red pepper, diced
Simply mix the three ingredients and serve. The mayo is pretty spicy. Start with one tablespoon of the mayo and taste your dish. Only add a second tablespoon if you don't mind the extra heat.
Tasty Chicken Salad
- 12 oz cooked chicken, broken into pieces (can pull from chicken or buy in a can)
- 12 grapes, halved
- 2 table spoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 of a small red onion, diced
-1/4 of a red pepper, diced
Again, simply mix all the ingredients and serve cold. This is great in a pita with some chips.
If you're looking for other summer recipes, check out this cook book put out by the state. It includes recipes from Maryland chefs, including Rasheed Abdurrahman, chef at Hyattsville's Wild Onion.