Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lesson Learned!

As a parent, you try to teach your kids certain lessons about life and hope they sink in. When the lesson sinks in, it's wonderful. When it doesn't, you're not happy, but, if it's important, you head at it another way. There are also times when they misunderstand what you say and get the totally wrong message, which means you have to correct, dismiss the bad notion and try again at the original point. And, finally, there are times when your kids totally get the lesson, but not in the way you expected. This is such an example:

The other evening, my 4-year-old daughter ran ahead of me to her bedroom, saying, "Let me open the door for you and turn on the lights." Then, she proceeded to do just that.

I said, "How nice of you, sweetheart."

She responded. "Yes, Mommy, I have to help you because you're soooooo old. It's important to help old people."

I am 35, in case you're wondering. 

Well, I guess that lesson's learned.

-Your Soooooo Old Hyattsville Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment