Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Only 12 years in does he think to tell me he's allergic to...

We were on vacation recently, and my husband told this story of this time when he felt helpless because his mother was oblivious to his discomfort.  He was a 11 and had gotten sick, vomiting constantly. The doctor prescribed an anti-vomiting drug (compazine) for him, and he had an allergic reaction. He cramped and became stiff and unmovable. His jaw contorted and froze so he couldn't speak. He was lying there in bed and his mother realized he didn't feel look, but didn't realize anything was wrong. She said, "you look like you could use a cool towel on your face." 

She got him a towel, put it over his face, and was very kind, but was not getting that he was in distress. He said,  "I thought I was going to die with this towel on my face. She was so helpful, but she didn't get it. I wanted to say help me. I'm going to die." But he couldn't move his jaw. His father came in after a while and they realized it was a real problem, and took him to the hospital (they literally had to carry him because he couldn't move). 

What is interesting about this story, is that in 17 years of knowing my husband (12 of them married), he has never once mentioned this story.  When he finished, I said, "You know, if you'd fallen ill yesterday and the doctors asked me, 'is he allergic to any medications?'  I would have said, 'no.'"

It was so weird that I'd never heard this story. But, I guess it goes to show, even when you know someone, you can miss crucial bits of info. 

That's it for today.

-Hyattsville Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment