Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Couldn't have put it better myself...

As you know, some things you learn really resonate and stick with you. One such thing that stuck with me is an episode of The View where an expert was explaining how to buy fruit. He explained that tapping and feeling and all that other crap people tell you do is useless. If you want to pick out tasty fruit, you only need one thing: your nose. The expert said the navel (where it had been connected to the vine/tree/stem) should smell like the food you want to eat.

So, if you're looking for a juicy pineapple, turn it over, give it a sniff and if it smells like delicious pineapple, buy it.

Last night, I was trying to demonstrate this to my children with mangoes. I had one mango that was ripe and one that was not. My plan was to let the not ripe one ripen and cut in a couple of days. I gave each kid a sniff of the green mango, and neither liked the smell.

When I gave my son the ripe mango, I asked him what it smelled like. He replied, "yum." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Here's to a summer of yummy fruit.

-Hyattsville Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment