Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What the Heck is Instagram?

I could've Instagrammed this photo of ducks I took.
Lately on Facebook, I've been seeing these posts that say, "FACEBOOKFRIENDNAME took a photo with Instagram." So, I've been trying to figure out what the heck Instagram is and why people are using it, instead of just uploading their mobile pic like normal.


Well, I thought I'd try the most obvious route to answer this question--check out Instagram's website. Only it was more baffling than these cryptic posts. In the FAQ, What is Instagram, the site says: "Instagram is a fun and quirky way to share your life with friends through a series of pictures. Snap a photo with your mobile phone, then choose a filter to transform the image into a memory to keep around forever."  Umm, yeah, that explains it all. Not.


So, I asked my FB friends and learned it's a new social network. Except it just uses pictures. So, you get to have your Instagram friends and see their Instagram pictures. And Instagram also lets you share those photos on other networks, like Twitter or Facebook (hence all the posts I've been seeing recently).


Now that I know what it is, I'm probably going to pass. Friends say there are great photo editing tools on the site, and it's more cozy than Facebook (as there are fewer friends). But, I just don't think I can swing another social network. I'd have to make friends again. I'd have to answer demands from the software to comb my inbox for possible friends. And most importantly, I'd have another thing to distract me from getting things done during the day. It's hard enough living, blogging, tweeting and Facebooking. I can't add Pinning (Pinterest) and Instagramming, too.


So, what say you? Are you using Instagram? Is it so cool it's worth adding another social network to the cue?


That's it for today. 


Hyattsville Mom


p.s. Breastfeeding awareness week starts today and runs through Aug. 7.  More information is online: http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment