Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Justifiable Travelcide?

Just returned from a weeklong-trip to visit my family in Illinois, and I totally get why there's no travel-related section of justifiable homicide. Otherwise, only I would have returned from our trip (unless my hubby had gotten the idea first).

The trip itself was great. Chicago is full of traffic, as usual, and downstate is peaceful, calming and breathtakingly beautiful near the river (yes, don't be fooled; Illinois is not all flat).

But, I don't know if we would have made it there, because my husband is a bear to travel with. He's the time man. "It's 5:15." Yeah, I know. "It's 5:16." Yes, I kinda guessed because you said it was 5:15 a minute ago. "It's 5:17."  Maybe, you could actually help get stuff ready instead of standing there telling me the time. "It's 5:18." Really, you're just going to stand there, not help out and be annoying? "It's 5:19." We actually don't have to leave for the airport until 5:30. "It's 5:20." I know what I'm getting you for Father's Day--a muzzle.

And so that was my morning. Not good on any day, but when I've got to make sure I've got everything and separated liquids so I can go through security and get the kids teeth brushed.  Not good. And then, I get everyone out and in the car and he takes an additional 10 minutes to get out the door. We drive about 2 blocks and he goes, "I want to go back and make sure I locked the door."  Then and there, I was ready to strangle him.

And my kids. They were fine on the flight. But the drive from Chicago to Peoria. Three hours of torture. They fought over everything. Whether to put the center armrest up or down. Whether the box of 24 crayons they were sharing was "in the middle" or more to one person's side or the other's. Which activity book they wanted to do. One was humming to loud. One was chewing too loud. One's arm or foot or strand of hair was on the other person's side of the car. OK, maybe I wouldn't have considered Travelcide with the children, but I was ready to evict one of them--make them ride the train or something.

Despite the lack of fun while actually traveling, we did have a great trip. And I'm glad we're all back safe and sound, and not trapped in a vehicle of any type (plane, train, auto) with each other.

-Hyattsville Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment