Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Book Tuesday: Oops!

"Elephants, by tradition and common sense, are supposed to be buried where they fall."

I read this line and couldn't help but cracking up. The practicalities of burying an elephant had never crossed my mind until reading this statement, which appears in the book, Oops! 20 Life Lessons from the Fiascoes that Shaped America.


Normally, I actually read the entire book before posting about it on a book Tuesday, but I must admit I'm so enjoying this, that I'll recommend it without finishing it. The book is a really fascinating look at interesting people and situations that have shaped our country. Each chapter can be read stand alone and, I'm sure you could skip around if you wanted to, but the authors -- Martin J. Smith and Patrick J. Kiger -- make it so entertaining, you really wouldn't want to.

The book covers interesting people and things they did, including John Humphrey Noyes, who started a religious sex colony in the 1800s;  Thomas Edison's smear campaign on alternating current (A/C, which his lovely light bulbs didn't use -- they were direct current, or D/C, electricity) that ended with Edison electrocuting an elephant; Thomas Midgley, Jr., the scientist we can thank for exposing our country to massive amounts of airborne lead; and Jimi Hendrix, particularly how he ended up in a failed pairing with Monkees on tour.

So far, it's all very fascinating. I actually picked up the book on the library display case the other day, so it's at PG county libraries if you're looking for a fun, interesting read.  And I'm not saying you can't buy the book--as you should always support authors you enjoy reading. I'm just letting you know it's at the library, too.

That's all for today.

-Hyattsville Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment