Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Forget TMI, how about NEI?

Nowadays people often talk about getting TMI -- too much information.

And I haven't entirely shunned the trend, myself. The other day, when I asked my 4-year-old daughter if she needed to potty before story time at the library, she looks at me and goes, "No, I just have to fart." Then, she proceeds to fart loudly. "Yeah, it was just a fart."  I am certain I said to her, "TMI, honey."

However, while TMI is the trendy thing to say, I find myself more often thinking NEI - not enough information. I find that people give you a bare minimum of facts, and want you to make things happen. The other day, my son's school sent home a list of supplies they'd need for a project. The list said, I kid you not: straws, tubes, cans (without sharp edges), stir sticks.

Now, they're going to build something with this and I'm sure it will be a fun and interesting project, but, might I ask, who sends a list of supplies home without any numbers. How many of these things do they need?  By using the plural, I can assume they need more than one.  But how many. And there was no due date for these supplies either. It was odd, yet not atypical of the stuff I get home sometimes.

I'm not picking on schools, though. That example just happened to be freshest in my mind. Politicians do the same too. They promise grand things and give no information about how they're going to achieve these lofty goals. To them and all those like them, I say: "NEI."

I hope more people say it, too. NEI, NEI, NEI.  Sometimes we need more than what we're getting.

That ends my rant for today.  This is my post for this week, as my son turns 8 on Friday and I have tons of stuff to do to get ready for his party on Saturday.

Next week, I'm going to blog on party planning in PG county.

Have a good one.

-Hyattsville Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment