Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Simple Solutions

One of the things I think it's important to teach kids is to solve their own problems and go for simple solutions. 

Take this conversation I had with my daughter the other day, just 5 minutes before we were supposed to leave for school:

Her: Mom, I can't find any pants I like to wear.
Me: Wear pants you don't like. We have to go to school!

Two good things come from this conversation. One, I've shown her a simple solution. And two, given the face she made when I gave her the answer, I'm guessing she won't be coming to me for pants solutions in the future. She'll learn to become her own problem solver, because I'm sure she'll come up with a more satisfying solution herself (even it's the same solution as mine; it's always more satisfying when you'r responsible for the idea).

That's it for today. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment